A low-carb, keto, and paleo friendly version of the classic potato leek soup. Creamy Cauliflower Leek Soup is rich, decadent, and makes for an easy dinner using the Instant Pot.
Sometimes I think my husband tolerates my constant soup making as a courtesy. I’ve been told on multiple occasions that “soup is not dinner.” In my mind, that is the farthest thing from the truth. There is nothing more satisfying than a hearty soup on a cold night, a hunk of good bread for dipping, and perhaps a wedge of English cheddar. That, to me, is dinner. Maybe I’m part Hobbit.
One soup on the top of my list is Baked Potato. I loved that silky texture with chunks of perfectly cooked potato, the array of toppings, and the heavy handed use of cream. Eating low carb puts potatoes on my list of rare eats. I’ve found that cauliflower is often a solid replacement. My Zuppa Toscana is one such example of cauliflower working in place of potatoes. My Loaded “Fauxtatoes” are a scrumptious cauliflower in lieu of potatoes recipe.
Creamy Cauliflower and Leek Soup is my low carb homage to the soup of my past. Cauliflower is the base and elevated with the buttery taste of sautéed leeks, garlic, and heavy cream. The Parmesan cheese at the end adds something special to the overall flavor of the soup.
Don’t let the Instant Pot scare you. You could easily cook all of this in a Dutch oven or stock pot. The cauliflower should be soft enough to blend after about 20 minutes. Follow the recipe as otherwise written.
With a yummy low carb biscuit, this soup is easily a dinner. Oddly enough, after making this recipe, my husband stopped reminding me that soup doesn’t count as s main course. I’d like to think his endorsement is proof enough that you need to try this recipe.
A play on potato leek soup, this low-carb version is even more decedent than the original. Using your Instant Pot will get this dinner on the table in 25 minutes.
- 5 slices sugar-free bacon
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sliced leeks , (2 medium)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 7-8 cups cauliflower florets, 1 large head
- 32 oz chicken bone broth
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Set Instant Pot to sautee function. Cut bacon into 1/4 inch strips. Cook bacon until brown and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel covered plate. Set aside.
- Heat butter and sautee leeks until transluscent. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add cauliflower and broth. Set Instant Pot to high pressure for 5 minutes. Cook and immediately release pressure value.
- Blend soup with immersion blender or pour into a counter-top blender. Add cream cheese, allow melting. This may require additional blending to get cream cheese entirely incorporated/smooth.
- Return to the pot if using a counter-top blender. Add heavy cream, parmesan, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Garnish with reserved bacon bits and additional parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Dairy free or eating paleo? Use ghee and a can of full-fat coconut milk instead of the dairy items.
Did you try my recipe? I want to see your creative genius! Tag me @noshinandnumnums