A positively easy, delicious, one-skillet dinner, this Creamy Tuscan Chicken is studded with herbs, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and on your table in under 30 minutes. Friendly for keto and low carb diets, too!
Best Tuscan Chicken Skillet Recipe - Keto, Low Carb, Gluten-free, LCHF
May is one of the busiest months of our year. Not only are we wrapping up the school year, but May seems to be peppered with holidays, birthdays, and commitments. I find that I'm always running on empty during this month and am always searching for any short-cut or quick-fix to offer a little relief.
This Tuscan Chicken is the perfect simple weeknight dinner. Aside from chopping, this recipe requires minimal prep work and cooks up in about 15 minutes. You could have a delicious, homemade healthy dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. Frankly, that's about all the time I have before I lose my cool and default to expensive restaurant visits or garbage take-out.
Keto Tuscan Chicken Recipe Inspiration
Sun-dried tomato chicken pasta was one of my favorite dishes. There was something comforting about the rich, creamy cheese sauce smothering ribbons of pasta. I choose to enjoy it now sans the pasta but instead with a vegetable "noodle" alternative.
My favorite is cabbage pasta, but this recipe is delicious with zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash as well. Honestly, this recipe came out of my love for all things Italian (did I mention that I'm even learning Italian at the moment? Because I need another hobby...) coupled with the fact that I needed to get back to simple dinners.
I spend an inordinate amount of time in the kitchen, which, believe me, I love, but during the week, we have a strict routine. When dinner takes to long, or gets too elaborate (yes, this does actually happen on a regular basis), the routine starts to unravel and chaos breaks loose.
To keep the chaos demons in check and preserve my poor husband's sanity (the man is a saint, I swear), my focus this month has been on getting back to one-pan meals that can be assembled in 45 minutes or less. Creamy Tuscan Chicken checks all those boxes. Not to mention the fact that it is utterly decadent and comforting in every way, even without the actual pasta of the past. I never miss it, especially with a dish like this stealing the show.
How to make Low Carb Creamy Tuscan Chicken
Prep is essential. Much like Chinese cooking, this is one of those dishes were prep is essential. This recipe has a short cook time, so if you take the few extra minutes to have mise en place, you'll have this meal on the table in no time. I make sure to chop or dice all the necessary ingredients after seasoning the chicken thighs. You'll get more flavor from the chicken and you'll expedite the cooking experience.
Fresh herbs, please. Now that the weather is warming up here in the Midwest, my herbs are planted and I'm already reaping the reward. Use fresh herbs whenever and wherever possible. You'll get an explosion of flavor and the texture is far more enjoyable than some old dried up sprig of rosemary.
Not all sun-dried tomatoes will work. For this recipe, I use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. Dehydrated tomatoes will have the texture of vegetable beef jerky and may be way too chewy for this recipe unless reconstituted by soaking. I also love the flavors imparted by marinating in oil, so you'll get a much tastier result. Do not confuse with sun-dried tomato pesto or paste. Those won't work out quite the same.
Other Low Carb Italian Recipes you'll love
An one-pan dinner featuring chicken in a creamy parmesan sauce with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and herbs. Easy low carb and keto-friendly dinner ready in under 30 minutes.
- 1.25 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup shallot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced/pressed
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp stone ground/dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tbsp basil, fresh, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves, fresh, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp rosemary, fresh, finely diced
- 2 tsp flat-leaf parsley, fresh, finely diced
- black pepper
- Salt and pepper the chicken thighs on both sides. Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken thighs approximately 5 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from skillet and store in a bowl for later use.
- Heat remaining oil over medium low heat. Add shallot and saute until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes, cook for 30 seconds. De-glaze the pan with chicken stock. Add heavy cream, mustard, and parmesan and bring to a low boil. Sauce will begin to thicken after about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in spinach and cook down to wilt. Add herbs and stir to combine. Return chicken and any juices to the pan, stir and coat with the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately as is or over your favorite pasta or vegetable "noodle". Store any leftovers in an air-tight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and make sure to join the @noshinandnumnums community on instagram or facebook and tag me in your cooking pictures!
Want more recipes? Join my mailing list or subscribe by RSS to keep up with new posts. You can also find me and my collection on Pinterest.
Noshin' & Num Nums is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Leave a Reply