Loaded Cauliflower Casserole is the ultimate in low-carb comfort food. Try this recipe to get a fluffy mash reminiscent of a loaded baked potato smothered in sour cream, cheese, and bacon.
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Best Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Recipe - Keto, Low Carb, LCHF, Gluten-free
There are few things more satisfying than comfort foods, especially when eating low carb or on a keto diet. Making the switch from a carb-based diet was not easy, especially given how poorly I had been eating.
When I was craving rice or potatoes, that desire was easily curbed by finding an appropriate comforting alternative. Loaded Cauliflower Casserole quickly made it into my rotation and will easily become a favorite in your house too. It pairs well with a number of main dishes and has a seasonal longevity to boot.
Cauliflower is incredibly versatile, and when prepared correctly, makes an excellent substitute for mashed potatoes. I know that sounds ludicrous, believe me, and you’ve likely had a not so tasty cauliflower dish in the past.
But the key to this recipe is not only a bevy of tasting toppings, but making sure to follow the method listed below. Like all veggies, cauliflower has a water content, which, if not properly managed, will give you a thin texture in the final mash.
How to Make Low Carb Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Sugar-free bacon
- Cauliflower florets, (about 1 large head)
- Sour cream
- Heavy cream
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Cheese (cheddar, gouda, etc.)
- Green onions
Keto Cheesy Cauliflower Bake Tips & Tricks
Steam, do not boil your cauliflower. In fact, steam with an insert so that your florets don’t sit in the water.
Make sure to drain the florets in a colander and let them sit before mashing. Allow the water to drip off and the cauliflower some resting time will help you achieve a better texture.
Don't mash by hand. For a smooth texture, blend (I use a Ninja Blender) your florets with butter, sour cream, and a little heavy cream. I would not recommend mashing by hand like you might a potato. Unless you like chunks. But unless we’re talking chunks of cookie dough, no one wants chunks.
Good cheese makes everything better. Once you have the cauli mash base, mix in some shredded cheese (I really like gouda or Irish cheddar, especially if you can find a chive cheddar...yum) and scoop into a 9.5 inch baking dish.
Top with more cheese and pop into the oven to melt and brown the cheese. I’ll often crank up the broiler just before I’m about to serve since I like a little color on the overall dish and that toasted cheese flavor. Dress with your favorite toppings, and you’ll never know this isn’t full of carbs. It tastes even better the next day too.
Other Keto Low Carb Cauliflower Recipes you'll love:
Ultimate lowcarb comfort food! Creamy cauliflower smothered in cheese, bacon, and green onions.
- 2 strips sugar-free bacon
- 1 lb cauliflower florets, (about 1 large head)
- 3 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, (cheddar, gouda, etc)
- 2 green onions, thin sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook bacon, remove from pan to drain on a paper towel. Crumble and set off to the side.
- Fill a large sauce pan with one inch of water. Place steamer insert inside and heat to a boil.
- Cut up cauliflower florets and garlic. Once water is heated, place inside the steamer insert. Cover and steam for about 10-12 minutes.
- Drain in a colander. Let cool a few minutes.
- Dump contents into a large blender or food processor. Add butter, sour cream, and heavy cream. Salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Add 1/2 of the cheese and stir to combine. Spoon into a 9.5 inch baking dish. Cover with the remaining cheese. Place dish into the oven to melt cheese. If you want a golden brown cheese topping, put into the broiler for a few minutes.
- Remove and garnish with reserved bacon and green onions. Serve hot.
- Left overs can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Serving Size:6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 313mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy and calculated to the best of my ability using online databases. It is suggested that you perform your own check to ensure that a recipe fits within the scope of your dietary needs.
Want more recipes? Join my mailing list or subscribe by RSS to keep up with new posts. You can also find me and my collection on Pinterest.
Noshin' & Num Nums is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.