Moist chicken thighs are stuffed full of Italian cheese and pesto before being wrapped in salty and crispy slice of prosciutto. Simple assembly and dinner on the table in 40 minutes. Prosciutto Wrapped Pesto Stuffed Chicken Thighs are low-carb, gluten-free, and keto-approved.
Best Stuffed Chicken Recipe – Keto, Low Carb, Gluten-free, LCHF
It’s been only two weeks, and I’m still dreaming of my trip to Rome. I have never been surrounded by so many examples of man’s genius before in my life. St. Peter’s Basilica and the Colosseum were some of the most awe-inspiring sites on the globe. I stood, slack jawed, marveling at what is clearly a model of engineering and artistic perfection. I walked down the narrow streets of Rome only to be bombarded by fountains, churches, and piazzas of note as I turned every corner. It seems impossible that so much creativity, art, and thought occurred in one place.
Feats of mankind aside, I haven’t even mentioned the food. Oh, the food. Equally stunning was everything I ate. Not a bad meal to be found. Mounds of prosciutto; Italian and Spanish cheeses (some drizzled with the most incredible local honey that tasted like I was standing in some meadow deep in the countryside), pasta (yes, I ate it and had zero reaction), gelato in flavors I never knew existed. Wine that didn’t make my hands turn red and swell. It was a culinary whirlwind in three days.
The flavors of Rome continue to inspire me. I’ve been thinking of ways to capture some of the same tastes and bring them home in the only way I can without getting on a plane and smuggling back a suitcase of prosciutto. This recipe, Prosciutto Wrapped Pesto Stuffed Chicken Thighs, was my way of combining those memories with an easy dinner. While this main dish is basically five ingredients, the flavor combinations are classic and simple. Dinner on the table in under 40 minutes is just the ticket during the week.
Keto Pesto-Stuffed Chicken Tips, Tricks, and Take-aways:
Wrapping the prosciutto the opposite direction of the overlapped chicken can cut down on the cheese spillage. I’m not bothered by it since I load that chicken thigh with a fairly sizable chunk, but it is something of which to be aware if you are having guests or using less cheese.
Check your pesto labels! They are not all created equal. A number of packages stated that their recipe contained cornstarch and sugar. You can make your own. I just don’t have time during the work week.
Chicken breasts do work for this recipe. However, I would make sure you purchase the thinly sliced breasts. You will also need to reduce your overall baking time about 8-10 minutes.
Other Keto Low Carb Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Apricot Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs
- Cheesy Chicken Bacon Casserole
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
Chicken thighs are stuffed with fontina and pesto then wrapped with prosciutto. An easy sheet pan dinner ready in under 40 minutes.
- 1-1.5 lb Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 oz Fontina cheese, divided into 1/4 inch slabs
- 4 Tbsp Pesto, divided
- 4-5 slices Prosciutto
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken thighs, "skin" side down on a large sheet of parchment paper. Line of thighs in a row on one side. Fold the other side over the breasts and pound out to flatten. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place one 1/4 inch hunk of cheese in the center of the breast. Top with 2 tsp of pesto. Fold sides of chicken to overlap, covering the pest/cheese. Wrap prosciutto over the seam and tuck ends under the chicken, forming a little packet. Repeat to create 4-5 stuffed thighs (depending, of course, on how many thighs are in the package of chicken)
- Place chicken packets on a parchment lined baking try and insert into the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Top with additional pesto if desired. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Want more recipes? Join my mailing list or subscribe by RSS to keep up with new posts. You can also find me and my collection on Pinterest.
Noshin’ & Num Nums is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.