A simple and easy side dish or vegetarian main, this spinach artichoke cauliflower casserole is rich, cheesy, and satisfying low carb comfort food.
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easter is this weekend and I haven’t planned my menu. That’s not like me at all. I’m a planner. Most of my life organizing revolves around when and where I’m eating next, so when I don’t have meals factored into the plan, it’s a clear sign that I’m too busy.
Between wrapping up my teacher year, helping with our musical (the show opens next weekend), and planning my son’s 3rd birthday party, our lives are at maximum capacity. Oh, and then there’s that dog we got in March…because getting a new puppy was a necessity. Oh well! That’s life: a series of chaotic decisions all hinged on our ability to balance it all. I’m the plate spinner at the circus. Don’t let anything drop.
Back to Easter. There’s still no menu. I think this year I’ll do a quick ham shank in the oven and some green beans. Nothing glamorous. Assuming the weather holds up, we have to stain the deck, so whatever I can balance in one hand while painting will be perfect. But, ham needs a cheesy side dish. Enter Spinach Artichoke Cauliflower Casserole.
This side dish blends the rich and creamy spinach artichoke dip with a cauliflower mac and cheese casserole. It’s easy to prepare, reheats well if you need to make it ahead, and goes perfectly with salty ham. This casserole isn’t rocket-science and that’s exactly what I need to keep the plates spinning at this moment.
A Few Tips & Tricks to Make Keto Cauliflower Casserole:
- Feel free to add in or substitute other fun white cheeses. I like a sharp provolone, fontina, or havarti.
- Make sure your cauliflower florets are similar in size to ensure an even bake.
- If you use frozen spinach, make sure to drain it and squeeze out the extra water.
Other Low Carb Keto-friendly Cauliflower Recipes you’ll love
Rich, creamy, and cheesy, this cauliflower side dish combines spinach artichoke dip with a mac 'n cheese style casserole. The perfect low carb comfort food!
- 1 large head of cauliflower, about 6 cups
- 2 tbsp butter, salted
- 5 oz fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 whole artichoke hearts, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed/minced
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut cauliflower into evenly sized florets and arrange in a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a large heavy saute pan, heat butter over medium low heat. Saute shallots until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add spinach and artichoke hearts and cook for 3-5 minutes until spinach is wilted. Add a little salt and pepper to taste during the cooking process.
- Remove veggies from pan and place into a medium bowl and off to the side. Return saute pan to the heat and add cream cheese, heavy cream, and sour cream. Let cream cheese melt down and incorporate. Be careful not to let cream mixture overheat and boil. Stir frequently. Add cheeses. Stir until melted and combined to create a thick sauce.
- Return spinach and artichoke mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Pour sauce over the reserved cauliflower casserole. Top with additional cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and top is golden brown. Allow to rest for about 5- 10 minutes before serving so that sauce has a chance to thicken up and you don't burn your mouth on molten hot casserole.
Want more recipes? Join my mailing list or subscribe by RSS to keep up with new posts. You can also find me and my collection on Pinterest.
Noshin’ & Num Nums is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.