The perfect side for a BBQ or summer party, this Cauliflower Tabbouleh features bright herbal flavors of parsley and mint with lemon. Crunchy, fresh, and light — you’ll never miss the grain!
One of my favorite things about the arrival of warmer weather is eating out-of-doors. We spent the past weekend staining the deck (mostly a disaster free endeavor aside from my son falling into a 5 gallon vat of paint), so now I’m on the prowl for new outdoor furniture and fantasizing about eating and lounging on my freshly painted outdoor sanctuary. I can’t wait to grill. Kebabs, steaks, ribs, you name it, we are grilling it. But what I love even more than a hunk of grilled meat are the side dishes to accompany it.
This Cauliflower Tabbouleh is the perfect side dish for your summer alfresco dinner or BBQ. The herbs and lemon give it a bright and refreshing burst of flavor that is especially lovely in hot weather. I’ve added cucumber instead of the traditional tomato that you’ll find in the regular tabbouleh because it pairs nicely with the herbs and lemon and further contributes to that cool and refreshing profile. I also threw in feta cheese for that tang.
This dish is incredibly easy, assuming you don’t mind doing a bit of chopping and dicing. Once everything is combined in bowl, let the real magic happen by giving the various flavors time to meld. This salad is even better the next day, though an hour or so in the refrigerator is enough time to get things going. It also travels well and can sit out for a bit if you are serving it at a picnic or event. An simple side that will quickly become a family favorite. Enjoy!
Tips, Tricks, and Take-aways:
- Fresh cauliflower rice really does work best for this recipe. I pulse mine in a small food processor to get a delicate, fluffy texture, almost like a cous cous. If this isn’t an option for you, you could try frozen, but I would highly advise squeezing out extra water after thawing.
- The recipe says 1-2 lemons simply because lemons vary in size and tartness. You may find that one is enough; however, be ready to adjust based on your taste.
Looking for other cauliflower based side dishes?
Herbs, lemon, cucumber, feta, and cauliflower come together in this simple salad. Perfect for BBQs and warm weather, this cool side dish will please anyone.
- 5 cups cauliflower rice, fresh
- 3/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions (white and light green part), diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1-2 lemons, zest and juice will be used
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Blitz cauliflower florets in a food processor until they resemble a fine, fluffy "grain". Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop fresh herbs, green onion, and cucumber. Add to the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the zest and juice of 1-2 lemons and olive oil. The 1-2 lemons will depend on your desired taste as well as the size/tartness of the lemons. Start with one and then taste before adding the second.
- Add feta crumbles and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let flavors meld. Serve chilled. Left overs store well for about 3 days in an air tight container in the refrigerator.